By Jeff Mwaura – Jeff@Alleastafrica.Com
Nairobi Kenya- Rwanda has invited 11 countries to participate in the Genocide Memorial tournament that is slated for June 3-4 in Kigali. FERWAHAND Secretary General Jean Paul Ngarambe has confirmed.
Rwanda Handball Federation (FERWAHAND) confirmed that a total of eleven countries have been invited to participate in this year’s.
“We have already sent invitations to eleven countries and we expect all of them to confirm because they had expressed their interest to come and be part of this tournament,” said Ngarambe
“The tournament is improving year by year and we absolutely hope that this is a befitting way to honour the genocide victims as well educating many people about the effects of the genocide,” he added.
About 20 teams are expected to participate in the memorial Tournament. Last year, the same event attracted 15 teams from hosts Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania.
The annual event will attract teams in both men and women categories.
In 2014, Ministry of Sports and Culture (MINISPOC) together with the Rwanda National Olympic and Sports Committee (RNOSC) partnered with 11 National Federations to organize Genocide memorial tournaments (GMT) in commemoration of over one million people who lost their lives during the 1994 genocide against Tutsis.
Clubs from neighboring countries (Uganda, DRC, Burundi and Tanzania) were invited to take part in various sports disciplines.
Like what the former South African president, the late Nelson Mandela ‘Madiba said that sports has th power to change the world. It has the power to inspire, It has the power to unite people in the way that little else does, Rwanda also hopes this tournament heal them from the bad nightmares of the 1994 genocide that claimed the lives of more than 800000 in just 100 days.
Copyright © 2016 Alleastafrica.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Alleastafrica.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Alleastafrica.com.