The Ministry of Health has cancelled plans to roll out a countywide polio vaccination campaign that was to begin this Saturday.
In a statement to newsrooms on Monday evening, the head of promotion unit at the health ministry Sammy Mahugu said that the cancellation had been occasioned by ‘unavoidable circumstances’.
“Due to unavoidable circumstances, the December 10 to 14 Polio campaign has been postponed to January 18 to 22, 2017. As a result, the Immunization Stakeholders Meeting that was to be held on December 6 has also been postponed to a January 2017… date that will be announced soon before the campaign,” said the statement.
The campaign that was set to be rolled out for five days, from December 10, targeted all children under the age of five in high risk counties and had been occasioned by an ongoing polio outbreak in Africa putting Kenya at risk of polio transmission.
“To this end, it is critical for the Ministry of Health to engage our immunization stakeholders so as to discuss preparations and arrangements for the campaign,” Dr Mahugu said.
©Alleastafrica and Daily Nation