Alleastafrica
  • Home
  • LATEST NEWS
  • UN rights chief says Burundi attack ‘dangerous development’
BURUNDI LATEST NEWS

UN rights chief says Burundi attack ‘dangerous development’

BUJUMBURA,— The United Nations’ human rights chief calls last week’s deadly attack in Burundi a “very dangerous development” ahead of Thursday’s referendum that could extend the president’s rule.

Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein spoke Tuesday following Friday’s attack in rural Burundi that killed 26 people, including 11 children. The government blames the attack on a “terrorist group.”

Zeid says the attack in Cibitoke could have been motivated by politics or other reasons.

He also warns that “everyone will suffer if Burundi explodes into violence during or after the referendum.”

Burundians will vote on a proposal to extend the president’s term from five years to seven, which would allow President Pierre Nkurunziza to rule for another 14 years when his current term expires in 2020.

Burundi has faced deadly protests over Nkurunziza’s rule.

Related posts

Ethiopia president, women appointees start nationwide peace drive

Newsroom

KCCA bans smoking in public places

Newsroom

Besigye arrested at Entebbe Airport

NewsDesk

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More