Three Lamu Boys Secondary School students have been arrested over a fire that burnt down a school dormitory on Wednesday.
This was the third fire incident to be reported in the school in a week.
County Police Commander Muchangi Kioi also said 12 bottles containing suspicious liquid and perfumes were recovered after an impromptu search.
Speaking to Nation on Thursday, Mr Kioi said the students were in police custody for interrogations.
“We will give you more information but police are alert to ensure no further incident happens at the school compound,” said Mr Kioi.
More than 50 mattresses, beds and students’ belongings were reduced to ashes during the inferno.
The school’s board of management has convened a meeting to discuss the possibility of closing down the institution.
“We are yet to decide the fate of the school. We are meeting this morning and we will give our directives shortly after the meeting is over. So far, I can’t confirm whether the school will be closed or not,” said Lamu West education officer Josphat Ngumi.
“Property worth Sh2 million has been destroyed and we suspect the students are the ones who started the fire. They want to go home for Ramadhan which is contrary to the syllabus,” said the school board chairman Masjid Basheikh.
Meanwhile, hundreds of parents stormed the school on Wednesday night demanding to take their children home, saying they no longer entrust the school administration with the security of the students.
Police had to intervene as angry parents attempted to force their way to the principal’s office.
On Thursday last week, over 40 mattresses, beds and students belongings were burnt down at school’s Zambarani dormitory.
The fire was said to have been caused by an electric fault though sources from the school said the students were the main suspects.
On Sunday, a prefect cubicle with three beds and other properties was torched after which 10 students suspended.
Parents said the school management has failed to instill discipline, and have asked the Education ministry to intervene.
“We want our children. We will not go anywhere. The institution has failed to contain tragedies here. They can’t continue keeping our children here. This is a dangerous place,” said Mr Bonaya Maneno.