Alleastafrica
  • Home
  • HEADLINES
  • S. Sudan urges UN Council to remove it from sanctions list
HEADLINES LATEST NEWS SOUTH SUDAN

S. Sudan urges UN Council to remove it from sanctions list

The South Sudan government has urged the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to remove the sanctions against it.

The world’s security body placed South Sudan in the sanctions list in 2015 following reports of gross human rights violations in the conflict that ravaged the country.

The sanctions ranged from an arms embargo against Juba, and others that targeted individuals believed to be obstructing the peace process in South Sudan.

Several senior government officials, including military commanders from both President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar factions, were among those sanctioned.

South Sudan Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Deng Dau Deng, on Wednesday said it was time for the security council to withdraw the punitive measures as the nation was transitioning and becoming stable.

He cited last year’s peace agreement signed between President Kiir and former rebel Chief Dr Machar as a step towards permanent peace in South Sudan.

“We need them (UNSC) to remove South Sudan from the list of sanctioned countries. The arms embargo and targeted sanctions were all because of war and now war is over,” Mr Deng said on state-owned South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC).

He added that the country was working hard to remedy human rights abuses and create a conducive environment for all citizens.

Mr Deng’s sentiments come a few months to the UN Security Council meeting slated for October this year.

On Tuesday, Mr Deng appealed to China, through China ambassador to South Sudan Mr Hua Ning, to lobby for the removal of sanctions against South Sudan.

The ambassador had visited the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Juba.

By The Eastafrican

Related posts

Two Somali, Kenyan telecom giants recognized as Africa-changing companies

NewsDesk

ODM clashes with William Ruto over push to amend laws

Newsroom

Ethiopia’s leading opposition figure warns of unrest if dialogue fails

Newsroom

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More