It was a sombre mood on as some of the victims of the Bududa mudslides were buried. They were buried on Saturday evening in their respective villages of Suume, Nnayinza, Namalira, Nyekhe, Malanda and among others.
Hundreds of mourners who turned up for the burials called on government to immediately intervene and support relatives of the victims and the survivors.
They were angry that the government did not provide the coffins and money for burial expenses that it had announced it would give to the victims.
Mr Paul Wandendya, one of the mourners said the residents and community were unhappy over government’s delay in responding to the plight of the mudslide victims.
Members of the rescue team carrying one of the residents injured in the mudslides. PHOTO BY LEONARD MUKOOLI
Today, prayers have been organised for the victims and survivors of the mudslides at Bukalasi Grounds.
President Museveni is also expected to visit Bukalasi Sub County.
“President Museveni is today expected to visit Bukalasi Sub-County in Bududa that was recently devastated by mudslides. Because of the very short notice, clearance for journalists will be done at site. Just make sure you have proper identification,” reads a message from State House communications team.
The Bududa LCV chairperson, Mr Wilson Watira confirmed the president’s visit before adding that they have recovered 42 bodies so far
Ms Justine Namono, one of the residents displaced by the mudslides said they expect the president visit them with a permanent solution on the landslides.
“We expect him to relocate all of us to safer areas. That’s the only thing we want from him today,” she said.
By Daily Monitor