Four prospective Kenya Defence Force recruits were arrested in Bomet on Tuesday morning for presenting forged academic documents.
Two suspects were arrested at Bomet Green Stadium during recruitment of servicemen and servicewomen, and constables which started on Monday. The recruitment in Bomet Central attracted 650 youths.
The other suspects were nabbed when they presented forged documents in Mogogosiek, Konoin Sub-County.
Lieutenant Colonel Fred Muchera said the suspects were handed over to the county security team.
“The candidates were trying to join KDF by presenting forged academic documents which after analysis did not match the age captured in their national identity cards,” Col Mucheru said.
He said one of the suspects presented Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education papers which indicated that they had sat for their Form Four exams when they were 13-years-old.
On Monday, Vice Chief of Defence Forces, Lt. Gen. Robert Kibochi warned that there was an increase in the number of people soliciting money from the public by claiming they could secure recruitment in the forces.
He said that 20 cases of malpractices were reported during the February/March recruitment, with Kenyans losing over Sh4.2 million to con men.
This was an increase from the nine cases reported during the May/June 2017 recruitment where Kenyans lost Sh4.9 million.
“Seven civilians have so far been charged and some KDF soldiers who were implicated have been dismissed from service,” Lt. Gen. Kibochi said during the launch.
By Daily Nation